Church of England Community Academy
Prep: 10 Mins
Cook: 40 Mins
- 50g baguette, cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp butter, plus 1 tbsp melted
- 350g spiral or other short pasta
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml whole milk
- 250g vegetarian mature cheddar, grated
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas. Spread the chunks of bread over a baking sheet, drizzle with the melted butter and season. Bake for 6 mins until crispy, then set aside.
- Boil the pasta for 2 mins less than stated on the pack. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan. Add the garlic and mustard, cook for 1 min, then stir in the flour. Cook for 1 min more, then gradually whisk in the milk until you have a lump-free sauce. Simmer for 5 mins, whisking constantly until thickened. Take off the heat, then stir in all the cheddar and half of the Parmesan.
- Stir the pasta and some seasoning into the cheesy sauce, then tip into a large ovenproof dish, or 4 individual dishes. Scatter over the bread and remaining Parmesan, then bake for 20 mins until crispy and golden. Can be frozen before baking - defrost thoroughly before cooking.