Prep time: 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
- 350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 125g/4oz butter
- 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
- 1 free range egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations.